January 12, 2008

Resetting the BIOS Password on a HP/Compaq Evo D510

So I finally gave up running Linux on my Playstation 2. The distribution was old and getting things compiled and running proved problematic--especially with MySQL. I was actually looking at buying one of these: http://www.linutop.com/ -- a nice self contained Linux box that uses very little power. However by the time you add postage and import duty, it can turn out to be quite expensive. Anyway I found a guy selling a load of Compaq D510 Ultra Slim desktops on Ebay for around 100 euros. Apparantly they'd only been used for around 20 hours ;-). I clicked Buy it Now and picked up the machine that weekend. I did get a list of passwords however the BIOS password proved incorrect and the seller didn't know the correct one.

Normally it's not a problem cases like this since the advent of the Internet. You'd expect a few keywords like 'compaq', 'd510', 'bios', 'reset' in the Google search bar would do the trick, however it took me slightly longer than expected so I decided to blog it (hopefully saving you some time!).

In a nutshell, locate the jumper labelled PASSWORD JMP on the motherboard (see image--it's between the PSU and the hard disk) and remove it. Power up the machine once without the jumper and then power it down again before replacing the jumper--the BIOS password should now be cleared. Easy.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It saved me some time.
thanks

Furdaddy said...

Thank you soo much! I ran into the same issue looking for this information. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

wow. this just saved me a headache. thanks

Unknown said...

thank you verry nice

Don M said...

This was the absolute only place that had the correct answer to my problem!! Thank you so much!

ahmad said...

thanksssssss it workssssssssss

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT, The model I have is the D51S - SFF. The same procedure (remove pin, enter bios setup, reset password, save and shutdown and replace pin). However, the pin was located right next to the CMOS reset button with no pw reset label or hints. So though that might help someone. I might also put a tutorial up for my model. However, your site got me looking and gave me enough courage to pull the pin and have ago (ok, and the cold temp in my room, 2am in the morning and wanting to go to my warm bed. LOL) as it was not my pc, it was for a friend.

Again thank you.

Glynn said...

Brilliant. Problem solved. However as Anonymous said above, on mine the jumper is next to the reset button. Removed, powered up. Powered down, put jumper back, perfect. many, many thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks man, i bought this pc from a neightbour and he didn't no the password. Great man.

Anonymous said...

Thank you soo much!

skullb0y said...

Saved the day, thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

thanx a lot, steyn from SA.

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much.

Worked a treat on an old 510S unit as well.

The jumper is in a different place than your unit, and it does have a label "Password Jumper" about an inch away from the actual jumper.

But, removed jumper, powered on, entered BIOS and reset password.
Powered off, re-installed jumper and all good - working fine.

Dugi Mont7 said...

excellent thank you

Anonymous said...

Works.